Opened March 11, 1920,the station features the standard mosaic tile bands, icons, and name tablets, plus some extra decorative elements in the otherwise plain white wall tile (for instance, see the orange tile columns under the numeral icons in the photos). Mosaics indicating "Queens Trains" and "Brooklyn Trains" are in the 60th Street mezzanine. This mezzanine features a passageway to Fifth Avenue and Central Park and a crossover between directions. This station is skewed on the street grid to shift the line from 59th Street to 60th Street.
The "Fifth Ave." mosaic signage features type with serifs with angled sides, one of only two or three other stations that use this particular type style. See Christopher Street/Sheridan Square.